Friday, April 4, 2008

Very Sad...

I don't use this blog to spout off my opinions, I generally just use it to update you guys on Colton and things going on in the family. Today is the exception, so please forgive me if you do not agree with what you are about to read.

First off, let me just say, I am not a HUGE Oprah fan. I will watch her shows if Colton is sleeping on me or eating at that time. I DVR it and delete many shows without watching, but occasionally I will hear Kidd Kraddick (radio DJ) talk about a show.. and I will try to watch it..

So today, I am flipping through and it is on. And this was about the saddest thing I have seen in so long...

It was all about Puppy Mills.. I really had not heard of them, or maybe I had heard but never really thought much about them. So, if you are like me, let me just give a quick explaination.

These idiot people take pure bred dogs and breed them OVER AND OVER AND OVER, in order to sell the puppies and make money off of them. Lisa Ling did an undercover investigation and the conditions that these dogs lived in was ATROCIOUS.. dogs in wire cages who had NEVER stepped foot on grass, filthy, dirty, begging for attention. Female dogs whose nipples had tumors on them from too many feedings. The fur is matted, eyes are sad, I could just go on and on and on and on.

So, after the puppies are born, the idiots take them to the morons at the petshops OR they sell them online... pure bred are extremely marketable.. especially the small little cute puppies.

Then we, hopefully ignorant (I cannot imagine that I would know anyone who knowingly would buy a puppy from these conditions) purchase the puppies which in turn encourages these breeders to continue what they are doing.

What Oprah showed on TV was horrible, was heart wrenching.. like she said, even if you are not a pet lover, if you are just a HUMANE person, you will feel. She had a man on the show who founded a shelter that tried to adopt. Did you know that you can find pretty much any breed, any age at a shelter? You just have to do your research and you can find the puppy.

I just want to really encourage you if you are in the market for a puppy, to please please PLEASE consider going to a shelter. Also, if you already own a dog (or three like us) You should have them spayed or neutered (Do I sound like Bob Barker?)..

If you go to www.OPRAH.com, you can see more info. Please check it out.

Sorry to go off, this just really upset me.

Love
Shauna

No comments: